Jake & Sydney

Jake & Sydney
Married almost 10 years - Jake is a baker and Sydney is a newborn photographer.

Beckham {8}

Beckham {8}

Holden {6}

Holden {6}

Piper {3}

Piper {3}

Palmer {8.25.14}

Palmer {8.25.14}

4.21.2007

The pneumonia ordeal.

Beckham was burning up throughout the night,so badly, I stripped him down to his diaper. His skin was so hot that it was burning mine!Neither of us slept very well, needless to say, as he was waking up alllll throughout the night.I was kind of thinking, that maybe it was related to his fall yesterday, but I don't know how something like that could cause a fever...This morning, we took his temp, several times, switching between ears.(The ear thermometer is the only one I have.)It was 100.8.We gave him Tylenol, and I've been giving it to him every 4 hours.His temp hasn't dropped below 100 and now, it's sky-rocketed to102.2!I know there is a certain temp that you're supposed to actually *start* being concerned, and possibly make a doctor/hospital/KidsCare trip....What is it? When should I decide to take him in. Insurance isn't a problem for us, so I would much rather be safe than sorry....
We took a rectal temp, it was 103.8.He was acting soooo lethargic and totally not himself.We decided the best thing to do would be to take him to the ER.They did a rectal temp there and it read 104.9!!!They did the run over for signs of an infection: listening to his lungs/heart,checked his ears/eyes/throat. Nothing. Said that since there weren't any obvious signs of an infection, they were going to draw some blood, get an x-ray, and get a urine sample to track down what was making his fever so high.First was the x-ray: They used a VERY uncomfortable (yet, oh so cute) looking plastic thing that held Beckham's arms above his head, while he was sitting on a little seat, like a bicycle.He was screaming the whole time. It was so hard for me to watch.Attempted AND failed a catheter, not once, but twice! Poor little baby was a screaming mess, and according to DH I was pale and looked like I was going to faint!(It doesn't make me sick, I just get light-headed and woozy when I see things that hurt. )I felt bad for the nurse, she wasn't doing anything wrong, but for some reason, it just wouldn't go in.Beckham was in so much pain, and this I know not only by the look on his face, but because of personal experience with the painful plastic tube commonly known as the "catheter".Finally, they drew blood, he was already crying, nearly uncontrollably, so that didn't seem like such a biggie... although, judging by the mark left behind, and once again, personal experience, I would say otherwise. So... the final verdict finally came in:Beckham has pneumonia in his left lung.I had no idea people could have it and not have a cough and/or wheezing lungs accompany it! DH says we are so lucky we got Beckham in tonight, instead of waiting until this weekend, or not taking him in at all.They sent him home on a dose of Motrin and a prescription for an antibiotic.

No comments:

Post a Comment