Jake & Sydney

Jake & Sydney
Married almost 10 years - Jake is a baker and Sydney is a newborn photographer.

Beckham {8}

Beckham {8}

Holden {6}

Holden {6}

Piper {3}

Piper {3}

Palmer {8.25.14}

Palmer {8.25.14}

8.17.2008

I'm a cripple

Here is the very first post from Jake:

So on Wednesday night I played not one but two soccer games. I played one at 5:30 and if we won we played again at 7:30. The earlier game was great! We played really well! And won 4 – 0 so we stayed and played another game. About ten minutes in to that game I got hurt. I believe we had played that team before and I remember them being a physical team, witch by the way I absolutely love. About five minutes in I was down in a corner with a lady that was probably five feet tall and maybe 110 Lbs. And she out muscled me! It was amazing. Anyway, I was tracking down a loose ball just over the half way line and I got to it first with a struggle of course, and I was putting my body in-between him and the ball and I think my cleats grabbed the ground wrong. The second I looked at the ball to see where it was I saw me knee, it looked like my knee cap had moved over the outside of my leg and bent in half. I rolled a couple of times and yelled a lot and probably said a couple of choice words. My wife and my baby weren’t there, thankfully, so she had to be called to come and pick me up. That’s a whole story in itself.

Two Mondays before these games my dad went to the hospital for a surgery. The hospital that he was at was literally a half mile away. In between my games my wife for some reason got mad at me and took Beckham, our son, to the hospital and she of course walked. It’s a good thing my mom was at the hospital with her car when the county called my wife so that she could bring my mom’s van. So she came and picked me up.

Before I talk about it any more I have to give a shout out to Jed and Levi, Some of Mike’s friends that happened to show up and watch these games. These guys helped me with everything! They lifted me up to sit in a chair and watch what I could and most importantly they carried me, not just let me limp beside them, carried me to the van that me wife brought to pick me up in. They are amazing. Thanks guys! They are for sure going to heaven!

So I got to the hospital and the first hour was horrible! We asked for ice and it came eventually but we had to ask for it a second time! I was getting nauseous and light headed and my life was crumbling right before my eyes! I finally got some ice and finally got into a room and the time I was in the room and got x-rays and everything was probably 45 minutes! Less time than when I was waiting to get back into a room! They stuck me on crutches, gave me some pain pills and said “Call a surgeon and make an appointment” and I was on my way.

The next day I had to call my Navy recruiter who actually took the news a lot better than I had expected. And that night I had to go to a meeting. A DEP meeting. Delayed Entry Program Meeting. It’s to help me get ready to go into the Navy. It was kind of sad when everyone had to do push ups but me. But oh well. What can you do?

Anyway… Thank you Syd for being there for everything even though you are 8 months pregnant and aren’t supposed to do anything! You truly are amazing! I bet you go to heaven too just like Levi and Jed! Thanks to my team for getting us that far! To the Final game! You guys are amazing too! But I think only a few of you will make it to heaven! C-ya later!

2 comments:

  1. Good luck with the surgery (I'm assuming you'll need it by the post) - make sure you keep all the medical records, get copies as soon as they are available.

    Oh, my knee hurts just thinking about it.

    Stay Safe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've met your wife on Facebook because I'm a Navy wife myself. Hopefully your surgery goes well. My husband was in a walking cast for a bit during his DEP days because of a stress fracture in his foot, and that's the only thing they could do for it. So we've been there done that.
    So good luck with surgery and recovery.

    ReplyDelete